From:
"Diane M. Zorich" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 1996 08:47:49 -0800
>The Mills College Art Gallery (in Oakland, CA for those of you who are
>unaware of us) is coordinating an effort to establish a central database
>containing collections information on several museums in the San
>Francisco Bay Area. When completed, this database (which will include
>images as well as text), would then be accessible to all through the
>Internet.

>Are any of you knowledgeable folks out there aware of foundations which
>are willing to fund such projects?  Thus far, our search of foundation
>directories has proved rather unsatisfactory.

Paula,

Is there a specific reason why you are only looking for foundation funding?
If not, try the Dept. of Commerce's TIIAP grant program
(Telecommunications Information Infrastructure Application Program).  They
are looking for collaborative projects that will provide public access to
information, and are one of the few grant programs that fund
"infrastructure development" - hardware/software/staffing -- to get such
projects going.  Check out their WWW site for more info
<http://www.ntia.doc.gov/otiahome/tiiap/tiiap.html>.  The 1996 grant round
is closed (deadline was early April), but you might want to look into it
for '97.

Diane M. Zorich
Information Management Services for Cultural Organizations
7925 Via Ensenada
Carlsbad, CA 92009
Voice# 619 942-3633
Fax#   619 942-3566