From:
Candace Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 2004 16:37:00 -0400
I am posting this info on behalf of a quilt historian I know who is trying
to develop a website with information that presents the alternative view of
the Hidden in Plain View publication, and the idea of UGRR quilt codes that
has gained a lot of momentum as a result.  I know many sites/schools around
the country have been intrigued by the UGRR quilt codes...and Ms. Cummings
is very interested that educators including it in their curriculum have a
balanced viewpoint.
Candace Perry

Message from Pat Cummings follows:
Feel free to describe my efforts through the group I have formed called
Quilt Historians United, with anyone. My goal is to have a new internet
file on my website where historians can voice their opinions. There will
be links to all of the other sites where quilt historians address the
issue. Of course, my lengthy online article, "Symbolism in Quilts and
the Underground Railroad", remains in place. That was reprinted twice,
and I wrote a sequel article that was published in /The Quilter/
magazine in September 2004.

The idea is to provide a place for any quilt historian [and other interested
parties CKP] who wishes to voice their feelings, sentiments, thoughts, and
reflections about the book /Hidden in Plain View/, and all of the subsequent
events
(childrens' books, quilt books, discussion groups, lectures, etc). This
new site feature will provide a brand-new resource for quilters and the
non-quilting public to find the views of those most intimately connected
with quilt history, those of us who are passionate about the subject,
and who want to maintain historical accuracy.

Brief statements of even a sentence or a paragraph are acceptable.
Longer manuscripts are equally welcome. I would love to hear of the
struggles of museum officials in interpreting this information to the
public and how their education departments are coping. If there are any
suggestions as to how we can help museums, some of us might be willing
to work on that, as well.

The point in setting up this file is to demonstrate to the public that
the issue of UGRR/quilts is being disputed by a number of thinking,
caring, well-educated people who are well-versed in research
methodology, and/or have read the book /Hidden in Plain View/, and find
that it can not be taken at face value. We are dealing with the
unfounded, re-writing of American history, based on the desire of two
authors to share an interesting "story" that remains just that, a
"story", albeit one that has been elevated to national fame and honor,
through many venues.
Patricia Cummings
www.quiltersmuse.com