From:
Matthew White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 16:13:23 -0500
Carrie,

I do not currently run an events or functions department although I have in
the past and I have worked for a functions coordinator as an event
monitor/security/chaperone/whatever at four different sites and I think I
can be helpful.

Most of your questions are your preference. The previous poster said they
allow no open flame, but some places allow it only if covered, only with
something under it, and only in specific rooms. Loading zones, room
capacities, flowers, doors open/shut etc. all depend on your physical
limitations and opportunities. Some you didn't mention would be bubble
blowing (makes the floor slippery), bird seeds after wedding (draws birds
and they have a tendency to leave souvenirs) and mention of the use of wall
decorations that require tape, tacks, or staples. If you can designate a
issues with flag stones or stairs that could get damaged by hand trucks,
don't allow them or only allow rubber wheeled trucks and dollies.  Most of
these are your calls and I would recommend you be as strict as you need to
be. And you shouldn't have to be apologetic about writing and enforcing
strict guidelines with odd rules. Museums can be a very special and unique
place to hold events of all types. But the very thing that makes them
special (historic structure, surrounded by a great collection of stuff, or
site of a historic event) are also the very things that require us to be
strict with rules and regs.

As far as deposits I don't know of a single catering venue that requires
them (and all do as far as I can tell) and hasn't had to keep someone's
deposit at some point. The line between a profitable  event and an
unprofitable event for your average caterer is very thin. If they can shave
a few dollars off the overhead by staffing less people, not cleaning well,
no providing garbage bags, or whatever they will and once you let them get
away with something the harder it is to reel them back in.  Document
infractions, save cleaning receipts and repair and keep as much of the
deposit as you can justify, but do it fairly and openly.

Who follows up with caterer depends totally on who's job it is. I would
recommend one point person on your staff who works with (or is one of) the
following: registrar, physical plant manager, education coordinator, or
anyone else who schedules things or uses the same space. Even if two events
do not directly conflict, they can effect each other. For example you do not
want caterers setting up tables while tours are going on and docents need to
know if there was an event the night before so they can go through the
galleries looking for half empty wine glasses.

If you are interested in more information I would suggest going to
http://www.cloisterscastle.com/. The Cloisters used to be the Baltimore
Children's Museum, but now it is just a rental facility in a historic house.
They have no collection to protect, but a lot of the rules are very similar
to the ones you could be contemplating. The woman who runs it, Virginia
Remsberg, is a Winterthur fellow who has served as curator and rental
coordinator in area museums, and she has presented on thus very topic for
AASLH. I am sure she would be happy to answer many questions you may have.
(As long your patient, she is the mother of three young ones.)

Good luck,

--
Matthew White
Director of Museums