From:
Sue McGuire <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 15:35:40 -0700
Having recently posted a position opening with a 2 week application period,
I can verify that in some cases a short period of time only means that the
institution needs someone quickly. We are not required to do a national
search, but for important positions I prefer to do so and for a national
search I prefer a longer application period, when I have that luxury.

We do not include a start date for several reasons. We're a state
institution that must have applications be mailed directly to the state
personnel office which then takes anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months to send
us the list of applicants. We don't know when the hiring process will be
completed, let alone when someone will actually start the job. We also try
to be flexible about start dates. Some people need to give lengthy
resignation notices to their current employer; they may have to move cross
country, they may have to complete a semester at school. I don't want to
lose a good candidate because they need to delay starting our job.

And, finally,it is a violation of state law for us to pre-select a
candidate for a vacancy. Staff who want a promotion, non-staff we have
worked with (volunteers, contractors, colleagues, etc), and complete
strangers must be considered equally. A representative from personnel
participates in the entire selection process to ensure the search is
unbiased. I know there's always skeptics, but believe me, I adhere to the
regulations. It isn't worth losing my job to cut corners.

Susan R. McGuire
Manager of Public Programs
New Mexico Museum of Natural History & Science
1801 Mountain Rd, NW
Albuquerque, NM 87104