From:
Hank Burchard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 1996 16:19:19 -0500
On Fri, 26 Jan 1996, Anita Cohen-Williams wrote:

> The local authorities would have done nothing. As those on Museum-L who are
> also on the anthropology/archaeology lists know, I have been verbally
attacked
> by a similar individual who has accused me of everything from bigotry to
> hauling human bones to Colorado. He also has posted messages to the lists
that
> show how out-of-touch he is with his own reality (including a split
> personality).
>
> I got in touch with the local authorities, including the campus police. They
> could do nothing unless the person threatened actual harm to either himself
or
> someone else.
>
> This person has disappeared from the net as of now, but I dread the idea that
> he might reappear at any time. The university refused to pull his account.

     I trust that you have documentation of the university's refusal. It
might be helpful to send not only the account supervisor but other
university officials a letter putting them on notice that the institution
has placed you and/or others at risk by aiding and abetting personal
harrassment. This puts them at legal liability for damages from that day
forward. Best of all, get a lawyer friend (doesn't everybody have lawyer
friends?) to draft the letter on his firm's letterhead.

      Hank Burchard * [log in to unmask] * Washington DC