From:
"Simmons, John E" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jul 2005 09:20:03 -0500
Ms. Maltby,
Perhaps you can help me with a question that has been bugging me lately.
Why do we measure UV as micro watts per lumen in museums?  Is it just
because the first affordable UV meters measured in those units?  I have
noticed that the price of UV meters has come down enormously in the last
few years, but the price of meters that measure mW/lumen is still very
high.  The mW/lumen measurement seems strange to me because you can get
an "acceptable" measurement simply by increasing the amount of visible
light (which would, of course, be damaging to most museum objects).  We
have standards for visible light measurements--why don't we have
standards for the direct amount of UV rather than a proportion of UV to
visible light?

Thanks for your help,
John