From:
"Palms, Anthony" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 13:35:22 -0400
I don't know about paint, but we used a window film on our lobby windows
call Armorgard, a product of MSC Specialty Films Inc. I think 3M also makes
a similar product.
Filters almost 100% of UV and depending on degree of the film color, can
reflect/absorb up to 80% of visible light and heat. It is also designed to
prevent flying glass chards in event of breakage during storms, vandalism,
accidents or some other exciting events. There is a 10 year warranty, it is
glass cleaner safe and when installed properly, no bubbles.
We've had it now almost one year and no problem yet. I've seen this film on
other campus buildings that are older and it looks fine.
One down side is the mirror effect from the outside. The darker the film,
the more reflective. Difficult for pedestrians to get a welcoming view of
the interior. But some people like that look.

Tony Palms
Exhibitions Coordinator
Contemporary Art Museum
University of South Florida