From:
Richard Urban <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 14:22:25 -0400
Angela,

I had success using Photoshop, PageMaker and an Epson Stylus Photo inkjet
printer ($500).  The Stylus can handle large size paper up to 13" wide.  I
was running sheets up to 35" long through it with no problem. Epson also
sells an adapter so you can slap a roll of paper on for banners.  If you
have enough horsepower in your computer it can also print fairly good photo
reproductions.  It worked really well blowing up some line drawings/woodcuts
for a traveling exhibit I worked on.

I would also check on the ink permanence issue if you intend the labels to
be around a long time.  Printed directly on paper the inks will smudge if
rubbed, especially if your hands are damp.  Since the panels I worked on
weren't going near objects I coated them with a spray fixative that kept
them from smudging, you could also cover them with a clear laminate for
extra durability.

I agree with Manda that a professional type layout program like PageMaker or
Quark is the best way to go.  Since professional programs like PageMaker are
a few hundred dollars they may be outside your budget.  You could try MS
Publisher, it gives you some of the same features for only $99. You can also
bend a word processor into service by putting your text into "text boxes"
rather than typing it directly onto the page.

Good luck!

Richard Urban
Web-site Coordinator
The Historical Society of Pennsylvania
1300 Locust St.
Philadelphia, PA 19107

www.hsp.org

>>> Angela Scott <[log in to unmask]> 09/05/00 07:28pm >>>
To all concerned:

We are looking for information on producing in-house exhibit labels (text
only).  Specifically, we are looking for recommendations on equipment and
software.  Thank you for your help.

Angela Scott
Assistant Curator
Santa Barbara Maritime Museum