From:
Steven Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 2004 13:06:51 -0400
Civil War Heritage Site Gets Second Chance

Clarksville, TN – Friday, July 16, 2004

A threat of Commercial Development has been delayed for the site of Civil
War-era recruiting and mustering camp, Camp Boone in Clarksville, Tenn.
County Commissioners met last Monday and voted 20 to 1 to delay a decision
for 90 days on the petition for rezoning of the property where the camp is
thought to have been.

Clarksville attorney Cleo Hogan said. “The time given us is little.  We
must proceed with all haste to get a proper archaeological survey done to
know exactly where the camp was.”

“I was really surprised at just how much positive response we received for
our cause!  The Tennessee State Archaeologist and many local supporters
showed up for us.  Letters of Support came in from all over.  We have all
been on the phone this week making contacts and gathering information.
From the historical documentation that have found, we are almost certain
that we will find evidence for the site right where they have petitioned
for the rezoning.  Local amateur archaeologists have been finding civil war
items there for years,” commented Steven B.G. Stewart, Chief Curator of the
museum in Clarksville.

"We need to get dozens of supporters there to help save this historic site.
We need about $10,000 to pay for the survey and we need it fast!  We have
formed a county preservation group to oversee this and have a bank account
to take any and all donations for the payment of the survey," said Greg
Biggs, president of the Clarksville Civil War Roundtable.  Those wanting to
donate money to help get this survey completed may make their check out to
Arts & Heritage Development Council - Camp Boone Fund and then mail it to:

Arts & Heritage Development Council - Camp Boone Fund
PO Box 555,
Clarksville, TN 37041

The Arts & Heritage Development Council is a 501c3 non-profit organization
in Montgomery County, Tennessee.  Its mission is to preserve and promote
our regions culture.
Plans are still underway for a cooperative effort between several heritage
groups and the Customs House Museum and Cultural Center in Clarksville that
will lead to the creation of a comprehensive driving tour of Civil War
sites that will include the sites of training camps, forts, battles,
historic homes and cemeteries.  Camp Boone is to be a pivotal part of the
planned map tour.
Steven Stewart of the Customs House Museum and Cultural Center in
Clarksville can be contacted at (931) 648-5780.