From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 17:08:14 -0800
A very extensive list of Archives and Manuscript
Repositories in California can be found here.

http://lcweb.loc.gov/coll/nucmc/casites.html

In addition, About.com has some very wonderful
newsletters specific to various states (
http://www.about.com ).  Presently, I subscribe to a
couple having to do with both California and Florida
as well as several other information item newsletters.

Recently, in the California newsletter, they did a
whole profile on California museums--in fact, I got
them to add the National Hot Rod Assocation (NHRA)
museum to their section on museums related to
transportation.

You can find out more about the museums section
offered there by using this search string I crafted:

http://search.about.com/fullsearch.htm?terms=California+museum&PM=59_0100_S

With that said, I do believe the University of
California at Riverside (UCR) has a museum that
matches your description.

It's a couple hours from Palm Springs to LA, but you
may want to check out the Southwest Museum in Highland
Park (a subset of LA, north up the 110 Freeway)
http://www.southwestmuseum.org/, and the Museum of
Natural History in Exposition Park (just south of
Downtown LA off of the 110).

Oh, and for my Southern friends, I learned last year
you don't use the article "the" when talking about a
Freeway, but in Californiaspeak, we do.  All of our
freeways are "The" followed by the number, as in The
60, or The 10, or The 5).

You may also want to catch The Huntington Gardens in
Pasadena.  Wonderful repository of many great
historical artifacts.

If you grew up enjoying Cowboy movies, you might enjoy
the Autry Museum in LA (which is on the same property
as the LA Zoo and is near the intersection of the 5
and 134 freeways).

If you need more specific ideas, let me know. I live
close to the Pasadena area and may be able to provide
you other Golden State-specific resources.

While you're traveling, you may want to plan ahead and
go to http://www.superpages.com.  Use their Distance
Search function and you can find lodging, restaurants,
and other essentials that will help you on your trip.
Use http://maps.yahoo.com and its driving directions
function to plan your route (it's what I do when I'm
headed to unfamiliar territory).  I know men don't ask
for directions (wink), but nobody will have to know if
you do it on the puter ahead of your trip.

--- "David R. Maschino" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Busman's Holiday.
> I have a couple of road trips coming up and would
> like suggestions for
> museums to visit that have a connection to a College
> or University.
> Specifically, history/archaeology/anthropology
> museums that have college
> students as their main visitor focus.
> Geographically, I'll be in Palm Springs, CA and
> Albany, NY. I'll have a
> car and will travel a couple of hours to visit
> museums.
> You're welcome to contact me directly.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dave Maschino, Exhibit Coordinator