From:
Barbara Winter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 1994 08:49:21 -0800
Yes, yet more on collections managers.  (And I REALLY have to do that
marking!!)

One reply to Linda's request included the line:

>That said, your friend still needs to lose her technophobia.

Sure she does.  However, this list is likely composed of computer literate
respondants, (I don't like to refer to myself as a chiphead or geek, but
face it, how many normal people spend this much time staring into a little
box).  I expect we would all have the same view.

However, there are probably lots of people employed in museums, even large
museums, who honestly have no need for computer literacy.  Designing an org
chart around that deficiency might  not be good management - but can we make
the comparison with other technical skills?  Do you need to know the ins and
outs of organic chemistry to be able to supervise a conservation department.
 Certainly the head conservator needs those skills, but does the person she
reports to?  If there are adequate human resources - enough people to do the
job who have the skills, the supervisor doesn't need to be 'hands-on'.

Back to marking,
Barbara

Barbara J. Winter
Department of Archaeology