From:
KATHLEEN HUTTON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Aug 1998 17:03:45 -0700
Katherine Steiner Stocker wrote:

> Reynolda House in Winston-Salem, NC has a booklet which I believe is for
> sale, but, when I visited, they had a few copies marked "museum use only"
> or some such, that they loaned out to people going through the collection.
> (They have a large art collection, and some furniture.)  It did not contain
> the complete collection, but did go into depth on some pieces, and was
> quite helpful.  I believe I've seen someone from Reynolda House post to the
> list, if they'd like to comment on what response they get to it, how many
> they actually sell, and how many copies sprout legs and walk off (pardon
> me, let me rephrase. . . how many visitors accidentally forget to return
> it)?
> Katherine Steiner Stocker
> "If the world were a logical place, men would ride side-saddle."  --Rita
> Mae Brown

Thanks, Katherine!  Our house guide is designed for off-the-street
visitors, since the museum is set up for self-guided tours (tours by
appointment).  Visitors are given the paperback booklet (50 pp, 8.5 in. X
5.5 in.) at the front desk, receive a brief orientation and then off they
go!  Since we are a furnished historic house (former mansion of RJ
Reynolds) and an American art museum (significant collection) people want
to know about many things --the art, the family, the estate.  So we have
floor maps, photographs, etc.  OK, now I'll try to sum up:

They are available for sale at the front desk for $4.00 (actual cost is
$2.40)
We sell about 250 guides (we have approximately 50,000 visitors) per
year.
We cover them with a gaudy flourescent green contact paper so that
visitors are less likely to walk out with them, or forget to return them.
Our biggest problem is that they get chewed up and out of date quickly
(our director likes to move even our permanent collection around!).
However, we have made updated, less attractive xerox copies of the book
and people seem satisfied (they can still buy the glossier version).  We
identify the exhibits by room (e.g, dining room) so that people can tour
in any direction and still find the right information when they want it.

People really read it -- even out loud to a companion!  The information
is fairly broad, with more in-depth information on selected paintings and
furniture.  For a low-tech application, it's very effective.  I should
say we have security posted throughout the house to answer further
questions and staff walking through the galleries try to answer questions
too.
Kathleen Hutton
coordinator of education, Reynolda House Museum of American Art
Box 11765, Winston-Salem, NC 27116-1765
phone (336) 725-5325  fax (336) 721-0991
e-mail  [log in to unmask]