From:
Tom Judd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 10:35:28 -0400
Laura Bajuk wrote:

> Situation: We're buying a new computer - PC - and need to decide how to store
> large - esp. image - files.
>
> To use a writeable CD-rom or a Zip drive... that is the question...

This seems to be "on topic" for posting to the list.

A Zip drive is way too small for storing image files.  You will fill
it
up very quickly.

There are 3 alternatives:

1. Jaz drive, either 1 or 2 Gig.
The least hassle, works just like a hard drive.  Expensive media.
Not entirely safe for archiving, because it can be erased.  Also,
the cartridges are mechanical so subject to failure.  However, I
have used Jaz for several years with excellent results.

2. CDR
Very cheap media.  650 meg enough for most purposes.  Universal
format, especially ISO9660 format.  Best for archiving because
they can't be erased.  Get a good writer such as Plextor.

3. CDRW
Media now about the same as CDR.  Not as good for archiving
because can be erased.  Problem to read on some machines.

I use Jaz for short-term backups and storage.  CDR for long-term.