From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2008 15:35:38 -0400
On 3/12/08, Becky Shields <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I have to agree that even the briefest note is helpful to the unsuccessful
> candidate.  The job search is absolute torture and can really have an effect
> on your self-esteem, so even cursory correspondence is better than none.

Having been laid off 3 times now, I think the best advice I can give
to job seekers is that you have to detach yourself from the job hunt.
Countless hours have been wasted by people who pine over hearing back
from their one "dream job". Apart from getting an acknowledgement that
my application was received, I don't expect to hear anything back from
where I applied. Rejection notes are appreciated but at this point,
not expected. I'd rather the usually overtaxed HR department (or
person) spend their time and energy on helping their employees rather
than trying to placate hundreds of applicants. At this stage of the
game, I consider myself on the open market until I have an offer
letter in my hand.

I've gotten interviews from three places over a year after I applied.
I felt embaressed when I had to ask one about what job it was for
because I honestly didn't remember after a year and probably 100
applications.

I've also gotten called back to work for the same client 3 times now.
Money runs out, I get laid off, money comes back in months later and
they call me back.

Hiring someone is a lot like finding a date. You can have all the
qualifications you want but most of the time the decision comes down
to a gut feeling of who is going to work out. Face it, after all the
education and internships we've all had, all of us are going to be
qualified for practically any position for which we want to apply.
People who have more experience are going to get more interviews
across the board but getting selected for the job is pretty much going
to come down to how well you seem to gel with whom you are
interviewing. So again, don't take it personally if you are rejected
or don't hear back. Keep on sending out those resumes and plugging
along.

Personally, the one thing I want from employers is a salary range on
all job announcements. We all know museums have no money and salaries
are low. Don't think that you will lure someone into the job by not
even hinting at a salary until you give someone an offer. You don't
know what their student loan debt is or what they need to live off of.
Tell people up front so they will have an idea of the job pays enough
to take the time to write out an resume and cover letter. It will also
save you time of screening candidates and interviewing of people who
wouldn't have applied if they knew the salary range up front.

Deb