From:
Kristie Rhoback <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2006 11:28:25 -0400
This inquiry about latern slides was posted to Museum-L 8/11/2004. Maybe it
will assist you? They might be good contacts...
Kristine Dobbins
Amherst Museum

Hi John -

I wanted to display lantern slides last year and circumvented the whole
fragility issue by creating large plexi replicas to hang in our windows.

To celebrate our 90th anniversary, we created big plexi versions of lantern
slides showing how the museum looked 'in the old days.'  We worked with a
graphics company that scanned the lantern slides, blew up the digital
images, and affixed the images to plexi (or polycarbonate - less breakable)
with a bit of protective laminate.  Then we mounted the images in the
windows so that natural light shines through to illuminate the images.  Each
image includes a black and gold frame that mimics the black and gold paper
frames on the original slides.  And we added some extra black background on
one side so we could insert a short caption.

The plexi measures roughly 14 inches tall by 30 inches wide.  The pics are
were 18 inches wide and the captions are 12 inches wide.

We installed 14 of them around the museum, showing the old museum buildings,
pictures of kids enjoying programs with live animals, shots of the old Hall
of Taxidermied Animals, etc.  They're a big hit.

I can send you a picture of them in situ if you like - just let me know.

Lindsey Richardson
Collections Manager
Boston Children's Museum
300 Congress Street