From:
Ellen Carrlee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 May 2004 11:44:36 -0800
Hi Cristin,

There is a test for organic halides (useful for checking for chlorides)
called the Beilstein Test that you can easily do yourself.  You need a
copper wire (maybe run over it with some sandpaper to make sure there is not
a coating on the wire.) Heat the wire with a flame (a lighter will do) until
it is hot and pull the wire across the plastic to melt some of the plastic
to the wire.  Then put it back over the flame.  If the flame turns green,
you have a "bad" plastic and should replace the lot.  To compare and make
sure you're doing the test right, see if you can find an old, yellowed piece
of plastic tubing.  Those are usually PVC, and should give you a green flame
so you know what to look for.  This test does not check for presence of
plasticizers and coatings on the sleeves, but does check if the sleeves have
chlorides.  There are only a limited number of plastics that are used to
make sleeves, usually polyethylene and polypropylene which don't need
plasticizers and then the dreaded polyvinyl chloride.  If you've got good
sleeves around, do a visual comparison.  Good sleeves should be clear or
maybe semi-opaque, but not at all yellow.    It might be worthwhile, also,
to see if there is a brand name anywhere on the sleeves and follow up that
angle if you haven't already.  If you don't get green flame and you're doing
the test correctly, I personally would feel comfortable keeping the sleeves.

Good luck!
Ellen Carrlee
Curator of Collections and Exhibits
Juneau-Douglas City Museum