From:
Robin Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 1997 10:05:06 -0500
I'll try to send a partial answer and then I would like to further the
inquiry a bit:

I agree with the recent post that web-savviness is very important, both for
skill and speed in conducting research, and in being able to stay on top of
what's happening out there with other museum sites -- especially ones with
educational missions.  I'd really like to have on my team someone who really
understood how to use the various web search engines effectively. However,
it's probably not worth you while to learn HTML, which is quickly becoming a
bit of an unnecessary skill.  Rather, recognize what the language is, and
familiarize yourself with one of the many packages that allows you to create
and edit html through a more user-friendly interface.

On to my expanded question:
We've heard a lot from the professionals working with databases about their
computer needs, but what about the other lines of work in a museum?  Exhibit
developers and educators, especially, what type of access do you have to
computers, and how do you use them?  Are they just for typing up memos,
preparing budget spreadsheets, and, of course, e-mail, or do you also use
project management, scheduling, design and presentations software?

Here at the Field it's a mixed bag, some folks have new pcs with the basic
office software like Lotus smartsuite, while others are lucky to have a
machine that can type a memo.  I'd say that computer skills among exhibit
developers and educators are pretty solid in wordprocessing, but there's
little call for much else besides budget spreadsheets (for the few who have
such responsibilities) and some limited web-surfing. Although most folks
have e-mail, it's not used as a communication device internally, yet.

Robin

Robin Wagner
Projects Coordinator
The Field Museum