From:
Claire Pillsbury <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 09:57:56 -0500
Pepper's Ghost is a great technique, especially if you would like to
juxtapose smallish objects with images.  It's not so hard to make but does
take a little tweaking to make it appear seamless and magical.

. . . Someone suggested using a device called "peppers ghost."  I've
>looked on the web and found it is a sheet of glass reflecting an image in
>front of a 'scene'.  I was wondering if anyone has created a display using
>this technique and if they would share any of problems or solutions they
>encountered.

There is a short description in French in the handbook, L'Interactivite au
Musee, a publication of the Musee de la Civilization in Quebec City.  Here
is a rough translation incorporated with additional comments of my own in
parenthesis for clarity:

(Start with a simple box.  You can use any convenient cardboard or plywood
box for prototyping.  Purchase a piece of glass or half silvered mirror and
place at a 45 degree angle in the box, with top edge nearest you and bottom
edge furthest from you.)

Using two objects, or two photo transparencies, with one placed behind a
half silvered mirror.

(The transparency for example could be placed in the back of the box, the
other object or transparency can be placed at the bottom of the box.  Later
you will want to adjust how deep it is placed in the box and the size of
the port hole into the box so you can't see it right away.  The light off
of this object will reflect off the 45 degree surface, like a pool ball
would bounce off the same angle, and come straight out, appearing as if it
is also behind the glass)

When one object is lighted, the other is not visible.
The first is replaced so the second is in the view of the visitor.

(that is to say that the first object is now "in the dark" and another
light source is lighting the second object.  Use two light bulbs plugged
into dimmers to fool around and see what it looks like)

The effectiveness of this interactive is highly dependent on the quality of
the mirror.  This simple technique always makes an impression.

Photo transparency lighting is under remote control.  The reflection on the
glass appears in the view of the visitor.

(You can have the light source for each object automatically fade in and
out on timers alternately OR give the visitor control with a button, for
example to reveal the answer to a question)

Paint black throughout interior of the box.

(Make sure to control light as much as possible by painting the inside of
the box flat black and/or using black felt and minimizing reflective
surfaces other than the mirror/glass.)

Hope this is somewhat intelligible and helps you get started.

Claire Pillsbury
Exhibit Developer
Connecticut Historical Society
860-236-5621 x 257