From:
NYSED NATURECACHE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2008 21:18:42 -0400
Ref: publishing a salary range:

It's not just for the job _candidate's_ sake...
...it's a lot of work to wade through a stack of resumes... pick a candidate, then find the candidate of choice can't work for the amount you're paying.

Someone wrote:
>People who have more experience are going to get more interviews
>across the board

I disagree with that...

I've heard it said in institutions where I've worked...
"We want an entry level person.  We can't afford an experienced person."

I've had people who know me make the decision for me... saying that they just couldn't pay me what I was worth.  So... why not put the salary in the announcement and let me make the decision?

..it's unfair to look at the candidate's background and decide for them that they won't work for what you're offering.

Of course, every candidate is going to put their best foot forward in their resume.  An institution is selling itself short if they decided that they can't afford the candidate that looks best.

Sometimes, there are other reasons that a candidate wants to move along in their career.

Or sometimes, they simply aren't making the amount of money that their resume suggests.

It's just the fact that there are no standards in the informal education world.
Job titles and job salaries are all over the board.

I've met some with the title "Director" of education, who are really filling the role of educator... and get paid as such.  If that person applies for a job as "Educational Program Manager," the HR person reading that resume may think it's a step down, or that they'll want too much money.  HR may never give that "Director" a second look on a "Manager" position... when it would really the next logical step.

And if you're going from a small... say historic barn... to a large Museum, you presume it'll be a step up in money, but a step down in title.  Still, it's really hard to guess.

If the salary range were listed, then there wouldn't be any guess at all.
The candidate could decide for themselves if they are willing to work for that amount and it will save everyone a lot of time and effort.   And the institution could pick the best candidate from the pool, already knowing that they are interested in the job at that salary.

It just makes sense from both sides!