From:
Ellen Rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 13:20:45 -0500
When I was a 17 year-old exchange student in Sweden in 1970-71, I saw three exhibits in Stockholm museums that opened my eyes to the possibilities for museum experiences. The first, "Status Symbols," was an installation at NordiskaMuseet that presented the many different kinds of artifacts people have used to signify status, including an entire late 19th century private railroad car. It also touched on the reaction of the working class to late 19th century conspicuous consumption (I think). The exhibt used drama, sound, light and humor.

The other two were at the art museum. One was an artist's recreation of a complete "typical Swede's apartment" that the visitor could walk through, sit in, etc. It included an explanatory text supposedly written by the fictional occupant that added humor and biting political commentary.
In another exhibit, a curator spoke from his personal perspective  and interpreted American culture using  tastefully framed and hung Donald Duck Cartoons.

>>> Janice Morrill <[log in to unmask]> 03/22/00 10:52AM >>>
Good question, i.e. thank you for asking this question.  I've enjoyed this dialogue about the most memorable artifacts but was hoping to see this expanded to exhibitions in general.  It's always good to learn about particular exhibit topics (or presentations) that have really drawn people.... for reasons other than their controversy.  It's interesting too that most of the "memorable" artifacts seem to reside in natural history museums.......  I'd love suggestions on how we history museums can compete in this arena.

Janice Morrill
Exhibition & Collection Services Coordinator
Atlanta History Center
130 W. Paces Ferry Road, NW
Atlanta, GA 30305
404 814-4135
(fax) 404-814-2041
www.atlantahistorycenter.com

>>> ces <[log in to unmask]> 03/22/00 10:51AM >>>
what makes an exhibit unforgettable?  if it's problematic? creative?

ces

.