From:
Elizabeth Walton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2007 19:08:08 -0400
You certainly need to take size, shape and material into consideration when planning storage. If you have the space perhaps you can have it sorted into subsets based on subject matter (decorative arts in a separate area from costume for instance). But if space is tight, you will want to consolidate as much as possible based on size and material (jewelry and other small pieces can be in the same cabinet, perhaps in different drawers based on other factors.)

Clearly mark everything (big letters and numbers, smaller ones just make it harder on older volunteers) and make sure to have tags that can be readable without having to pick up the object to save wear and tear on them (they don't have to be attached to every tiny thing as long as everyone handling knows they MUST move the tag with the item).

I have found that the biggest problems with keeping locations correct is unclearly marked objects and unclear systems of shelving and box numbers.

I currently work with storage being entirely based on box size/object material, it is the most efficient use of space by far.

Our shelving is row#, Unit #, shelf letter (A is always top) and the boxes have only great big numbers on all four sides. As long as locations are updated the pieces are anonymous (should someone come into the storage they cannot tell what is valuable and what isn't) and very very easy to find. This enables boxes to be reusable without having layers of sharpie or stickers and things to be extremely flexible should we move or rearrange the space (which will always happen at some point)