Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 11:37:51 -0400
WHat a frustrating situation.  Provided all the paperwork is in
order, I would try to sit down with this donor and explain to him the
whole range of museum work, both in public galleries and behind the
scenes.  Tell him about changing exhibits, loans to other museums, study
by scholars of collections in storage... maybe show him your conservation
lab if you have one of your own...  Basically I'd try to assure him that
his donation will be seen, cared for, studied, and would continue to be
subject of appreciation by a wide audience in the museum.  OUr museum's
Mission Statement covers the subject of multiple audiences and purposes --
perhaps you can cite similar documents?  Or if he is very upset and you
feel as if he will only be satisfied in speaking with someone "higher up,"
maybe there is someone who fits that bill who he will be more likely to
listen to when these explanations are made.  I'm more in favor of winning
public support by opening their eyes to the potential of museums, instead
of severing our relationship with them by just doing what they ask (easier
said than done, though).

Best of luck,

Juliette Rogers
Collections Manager/Registrar