From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 07:04:11 -0700
A few weeks ago, a coworker asked me how many folks
did I think had benefitted from their participation in
MuseJobs and actually gotten employment.  I told him I
honestly didn't know.  Through the years, I've had
many, many thank you notes from grateful members who
did find a job or internship who thanked me effusively
for the help we provide on the list.  More often than
not, they're thanking me as they are departing.  They
found what they were looking for (for now), and no
longer needed to search.

So, I decided to query the group to see what they had
found.  I knew, front end, from having run a few polls
for the list, that VERY few members ever choose to
respond.  So I wasn't expecting overwhelming numbers.
We did get a fairly decent sampling.  Folks were
allowed to respond to more than one question and, from
best I can tell, we had not less than 40 respondents.
I allowed three weeks for people to participate
inasmuch as the poll was started near Easter break.
Here are the results:

POLL QUESTION: In the time I have been a member of
MuseJobs, I have (select all that
apply):

CHOICES AND RESULTS
- Gotten more than one job, 3 votes, 1.61%
- Gotten at least one job, 14 votes, 7.53%
- Interviewed for one or more jobs, 26 votes, 13.98%
- Referred one or more friends or colleagues to the
list, 29 votes, 15.59%
- Picked up resume or interview pointers, 37 votes,
19.89%
- Learned more about the state of the job market in
general, 40 votes, 21.51%
- Learned about employment law, 12 votes, 6.45%
- Secured on or more internships, 3 votes, 1.61%
- Used the potential of a new job to negotiate a raise
on my current one, 4 votes, 2.15%
- Other, 13 votes, 6.99%
- None of the above, 5 votes, 2.69%
- What is MuseJobs, and why am I here?, 0 votes, 0.00%

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MuseJobs

As you are probably aware, if you've been here a
while, MuseJobs is at outgrowth of this.  It is a
supplement to the information offered here, operated
completely by a volunteer staff--who will never
solicit funds from you--and registration (a very easy
process) is required to keep spammers off the list.
Unlike some sites, you generally receive emails from
us as opposed to directly going to the site (though
you can opt to read from the site only).  A number of
the employers on this list offer their positions to
MuseJobs to post at no fee to them.

A recent member was concerned that we posted other
than strictly museum job opportunities to the list.
Here is a part of the response that was offered
concerning the philosophy of MuseJobs:

But why are there some of these other jobs that I
haven't weaned out? The reason? There are far more
candidates for museum-related jobs than there are jobs
to be had (in most areas). You must factor that the
list comes from all over (other than even just the
USA). In some areas, the chances are even more slim.

Now consider the fact that a lot of these folks have
an abundance of college debt that doesn't wait til you
find the job of your dreams. The goal here, is to try
to help you find that job, but you just might have to
do something else in the interim. I try to provide
some jobs requiring transferable skills so that you
can continue to pay your bills and still acquire
business accumen.

Be careful not to draw the borders of what constitutes
a museum too narrowly. Some of the employers who have
museums or transferrable museum skills may be state
parks, zoos, libraries, aquarium, and more. A museum
educator can clearly work as a guide in a state park
until they can find an indoor location.

These are the keywords I use to query
http://www.ajb.org : Museum, historian, development,
arboretum, library, archive, anthro (for
anthropology), aquarium, zoo, archaeology.

I thought, perhaps, the group would like to know how
the list is faring.  If you would like to participate,
either as a job searcher, or a candidate searcher,
here is the link: