From:
Katie Edlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 May 1999 09:51:57 -0700
Just to throw another monkey wrench into the name badge string.
What about museum directories on the internet that list email addresses?
(If you really want to consider an uncontrolled audience.)
In most cases with professional email addresses everyone has some
combination of first and  last name and/or initials in their address.
Working for a university, we are also listed in the university
directory.
It really permits would be stalkers easy access to information.

Katie Edlebeck
Deer Valley Rock Art Center
Arizona State University

Laura Dell wrote:

> I don't think front line staff should have their last names on name
> tags
> for security reasons.
>
> I personally had a bad experience with a guest about ten years ago
> when I
> was working on the front line in a zoo.  In short the guest brought me
>
> flowers, wrote me letters, and asked me to go out with him for two
> years.
>  Eventually people would see him coming, temporarily relieve me from
> my
> post, and then tell him I didn't work there anymore.  I have an
> unusual
> last name, there are only about 15 people in our local phone book with
> it
> and I'm the only one with the first initial "L."  I'm very easy to
> look
> up in phone book.  Since then when I've worked on a museum floor, I
> only
> wear name tags without my last name on them.
>
> As we all know, some very strange people come to museums/public
> institutions and we should protect our staff.  If you are concerned
> about
> guests being able to identify individual staff members, use first
> names
> and last initials.
>
> Sorry, this is one of my soap boxes!
>
> Laura Dell