From:
Corazon Llarena <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Mar 1997 20:52:48 +0000
Ann,
What did yout critics find objectionable?  Was it certain pieces in your
exhibition or the exhibition in general?

As to the reaction of the public and whether or not you should hold a
campus forum...what is your student body like?  Are religious issues a
big deal on your campus? Have similar Controversies come up in your
campus?  If so, how were thay handled?

I attended Catholic Schools from kindergarten all the way through
college. Controversial issues were always addressed in my classrooms.
We were always told to learn the hows and whys of issues and make our
own choices.  I assume that is the same policy on your campus.  Its what
responsible educational institutions should do.

When I was in college, our theatre department produced a play that about
three men dealing with the issues of  sex, drugs and commitment.  It was
a little hard to take, many of our patrons hated it, some pulled their
subscriptions and never came back.  We were accused of going against our
"Catholic Moral Code".  The director addressed these complaints by
asking questions of the audience: Why did they find it objectionable,
What do you think we are tryng to convey?   Ok, this is what I was
trying to convey.  It was very affective, it made people who hated the
play think more deeply about their experience (incidently, while the
veteren subscribers hated the play, the student body was more
tolerant..it "spoke" to them).

Finally, my point...for all those who complain, there are probably many
more who are willing to listen to your viewpoint.  Your comment book is
proof of that.  Does you administration support you?  Does your student
body support you?  Have you given them the chance to speak on this?
Mayve you should, it might surprise you.

Good luck.

I'm signing, Catholic, but not insulted...

Mia Llarena