From:
Smart Museum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 1996 11:29:03 -0500
>Greetings,
>
>  It is my understanding that the real-life model for "Indiana" Jones was a
>*paleontologist* named Roy Chapman Andrews.  Andrews led many expeditions
>for the AMNH to the Gobi desert, where he found the first dinosaur eggs.
>This was a time of great turmoil in China and everyone had to be equally
>adept at using the rock hammer and the rifle.  In between expeditions he
>would travel the country to raise money for the next trek and became very
>much an American hero and childhood idol in the days when Lucas was young.

I was under the impression that the model for Indiana Jones was James Henry
Breasted, founder of the Oriental Institute at the Univ. of Chicago.  I
think his U of Chicago connection was mentioned in the film.
  That's just the rumor 'round the water cooler though, I could be wrong.
(I used to live in the house he designed, built, & lived in here on campus,
so he is of some interest to me!)

Please advise if I am wrong.
Thank you very much

Brett Lambo