From:
Matthew White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jul 1998 09:00:05 -0400
When I sarcastically stated that the national theme restaurants were doing
swell when local institutions were closing, it was Carol's point #3 to which
I was refering.  Both the ESPN Zone and soon Planet Hollywood will close
Pratt St.,  the main thouroughfare along the Inner Harbor, for their opening
gala.  Although there have been no official estimates on how much the city
is spending on police overtime and other support services it could go into
the hundreds of thousands, not counting services that cannot be delivered
because of congested streets so that celebrities can cavort in front of
thier restaurants.  There has also been talk recently of placing a floating
barge in front of the National Aquarium (OK not directly in front but close
enough to recieve the Aquarium's acrimony) for a Bubba Gump shrimp barge.
All with the mayor cheering from the sideline as more of the local heritage
and companies are brushed aside or plowed under.  I don't begrudge these
restaurants their hype.  Hype is what they sell and the city should back
major investments and job creation.  However, it would be nice if local
institutions could get enough support to buy a bag of confetti when they
open or stage a special event.  And, as Carol correctly states, it need not
be monetary support.  The mayor