From:
Peter Volk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 1996 09:31:23 GMT
We are trying to assemble a kit for small and regional museums who need
advice in basic accessioning procedures. Standard practice in marking
objects around here is to use a rapidograph number between two coats of
Paraloid. The problem we have is that rapidographs are very expensive and
fragile, and hard to obtain in small towns.

In discussion, someone suggested that a common lead pencil could be used
instead of a rapidograph and indian ink. With a coat of paraloid above
and below this should be stable, non-fading and reversible if necessary.
It seems to be such a good idea that we are wondering why we haven't been
doing it ourselves for years.

Are we missing something obvious? Is this a bad idea? Would it be stable?
Any advice and experience appreciated.

Peter Volk
Social History Section
Queensland Museum