From:
Carol Reid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 09:15:33 -0500
Regarding the subject of disposition of deaccessioned material, this is
always a sensitive subject in museums as we are supposed to collect and
preserve. However in reality none of us can collect everything, and often we
don't need hundereds of examples of the same thing. Our museum has recently
reviewed this issue and written a new policy to govern our actions in this
manner. The policy lays out very clearly for us who can authorize what and
what steps we must/can follow. And no we do not notify the original owners.

I hope that this helps others considering this.

Carol Reid

the follow are some extracts from our policy on the disposition of
deaccessions:

the means by which surplus objects are disposed of will not cause
embarrassment, pain or other harm to donors or their families, or to museum,
its parent Corporation or the Government of Canada.

Objects considered surplus, having been thus identified by the Collections
Managers and approved by the Board of Trustees, are transfered to the Living
History Collection and may be disposed of by:
-transfer of ownership to another heritage institution; or

-sale to another heritage institution or to the public; or

-destruction.

Where objects are disposed of by sale, this may be done through:
-sale at auction or as part of a recognized public exhibition and sale;
(this for us, does not mean e-bay or other similar on-line auctions, but
recognized auction houses, as to do ebay we would have to engage an
intermediary, a neutral party to act on our behalf - so that our name never
appears on the auction site or catalogue descriptions)

-sale through the museum boutique; or

-sale to an institution, firm or individual.

Where objects are disposed of through sale, the Director, Programs and
Operations and the Comptroller, as appropriate, shall ensure that:
-all insignia and identifying marks which could identify an item with its
owner are      removed/obliterated before it is offered for sale;

-the sale is carried out in such a way that ensures complete equitability
among all prospective purchasers; there must be no grounds on which a
prospective purchaser could claim that another purchaser was treated in a
preferred manner;

-a reasonable price is obtained for the object(s);

-appropriate taxes are collected;

-revenues realized from object sales are appropriately received and
recorded.

All revenues from the disposal of objects shall be credited to an
acquisitions fund, established for the museum and used only for the purchase
of new acquisitions.