From:
Dawson City Museum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 1996 20:24:00 +0000
----------
Do you remember square card tables, with wobbly fold-down legs?  Often called
bridge tables, they had square wooden tops, covered with oil-cloth in deep green
or wine red colour, legs likely of ash, with some sort of metal strap arrangemen
supposidly keeping the legs in place when set up.  Oil cloth usually held down
by thin wood edge, reinforced with metal corner brackets.

Does anyone have one in their collection?

Information is needed to assist Klondike National Historic Sites, Dawson City,
which will mark the reopening of the restored Commissioner's Residence by
recreating a 1912 lawn party, of which we have a photograph.  Things at the
party are happening under a pointed topped tent around folding wooden (most
likely) tables. We have examples of the chairs for duplication, but no tables.

What was the exact size and height of the table?
how were the legs attached (hinged) at the top, to the table?
How many colour combinations can you remember?
Were the corner brackets brass, or steel with nickel plating?

We have searched unsuccessfully through furniture and Sears catalogues of the
time, and anyway such catalogues rarely show the underside.

Thanks in advance for your help
Mac Swackhammer
Dawson City Museum, Yukon