From:
rich jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jan 1995 14:15:00 PST
On Friday, 27 Jan. 95, Eric wrote more than the following:

>          The New York Times reported, in a long special yesterday,
>          that the dogs are baying for the blood of the Director of
>          the Air and Space Museum...

Eric:  The full text of your post certainly makes clear your position on the
"last act" controversy.  I think in time we will be privvy to all or most of
the facts surrounding the exhibition, its storyline/text construction &
desconstruction and the issues swirling around the director, the secretary
and the BOT.  Until then, maybe we should keep our heads about things and
maintain our civility by not launching verbal "nukes" at those on the front
line, at least until we know who the culprits really are.

Sometimes it can be very frustrating when we find ourselves supporting an
indefensible position. Enlightened self-interest sometimes saves us from
ourselves.  Sometimes it doesn't.  If it is determined, like I believe it
will be, that the Smithsonian momentarily lost its head about the Enola Gay
exhibition, then those who advocated vehemently for the minority
point-of-view should be commended for sticking up for what they believe in,
complimented on their professional accumen and if they were directly
involved, replaced.  For those holding the minority view who were not
directly involved, the whole experience should give one reason to pause and
to evaluate their world view.

Rich Jones                              Governing Board For:
Development Director                    Carter House Natural Science Museum
Shasta Natural Science Association      Redding Arboretum By The River
[log in to unmask]              SNSA Environmental Resources Center