From:
William Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Oct 1994 08:17:34 -0700
Gregory Smith wanted information regarding copyright laws and museum exhibits.
Let me speak as someone whose copyrighted work forms 50% of one small museum's g
raphic displays.

The state museum at Chief Timothy Recreation Area at Silcott, Washington, devote
s about half of their display to the extinct town of Silcott and the other half
to the Native American village there. All the photographs for Silcott used are c
opyrighted by me. In addition, an artist exactly copied a copyrighted drawing I
made of the general store and had the gall to sign his/her name to it. When the
exhibit was being assembled they contacted me for permission to use the photogra
phs and drawings, which I was happy to oblige. But I never gave someone permissi
on to redraw my artwork and pass it off as their own. Is this not only unethical
 but also a violation of the copyright laws?

I would like some feedback on the matter. Thanks.

William H. Adams
P.O. Box 1177
Philomath, OR 97370-1177  USA
503-929-3102       -3264 fax