From:
Martin Taureg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 1997 18:28:48 +0100
At 09:31 01.10.97 -0500, you wrote:
>Is "edutainment" another of those new buzz words?  It sounds as if education
>can't get its job done unless it is entertaining.  Extrapolating, is it
>something like education must copy MTV to get its job done?  Will somebody
>explain the concept for me?

The most likely explanation I have is that the concept 'education'
apparently acquired the odor of being thoroughly boring and uninteresting.
If you subscribe to that, but still maintain that there should be some sort
of 'education', then you will look for ways to pep it up by blending it
with 'entertainment'. Whether it's wise to try to compete with Disneyworld
and the like in their kind of business is another question. I'd rather
think that 'education', properly done, can be very exciting as of itself,
and not at all boring.

Martin Taureg
Photo Archives Programme Coordinator /
Coordinateur du Programme des Archives Photographiques

PROGRAMME DES MUSEES DE L'AFRIQUE DE L'OUEST /
WEST AFRICAN MUSEUMS PROGRAMME (WAMP)
140, Rue Moussé Diop
B. P. 357
Dakar, SENEGAL

Phone / Téléphone:  (++221) 22 50 57 / 23 88 48
Fax / Télécopie:    (++221) 22 12 33
E-mail / Courrier électronique:       [log in to unmask]