From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 1997 10:43:45 -0400
To add to the list of suggestions to Vee Housman, several institutions
including ours have found askSam for Windows  to be useful and
accommodating.

It is a free-form information management system, into which we are entering
all data on 75,000 items.  We're also scanning in photos of most of them.

One designs a template to meet the needs of the organization.   It takes a
bit of set-up and requires a great deal of internal memory, so we have in
effect dedicated one CPU to it along with a backup tape drive for
off-premises retention of the data.   Tape is the most useful for backup,
according to our computer consultant, given the regular updating and the
need to have everything in one place so that we can recall quickly by
accession date, type of item, or other variable.

Our version is 3.0 but it has probably been upgraded.

askSam's e-mail address is <[log in to unmask]> and it is at PO 1428, Perry,
Fl. 32347.  Phone 1-800-800-1997.