From:
"DEBORAH J. BAIN" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Apr 1996 11:16:09 -0700
I am doing research on the Barnes Foundation in relation to eccentric
wills, charitable intent, and the doctrine of cy pres/deviation. A few
questions that I have not been able to find answers to:

- Have any studies been done on Barnesian educational methods?

- During the infamous tour of the collections of the Barnes Foundation,
the Foundation was ordered by the court to "develop an appropriate and
practical art education program to be conducted during the period of
renovation."  Does anyone have information regarding the program that was
developed and how it related to Barnesian educational methods?

- Richard Glanton, President of the Foundation for the past five years,
completed his term at the end of 1995.  Does anyone know if a new
President has been appointed?  If so, who?

- Barnes stipulated in the by-laws of the Foundation that art works were
to be viewed only in daylight, as the artist would have seen them in
his/her studio.  I have read about fiber optics which give maximum
luminence to objects, but this technique of lighting does not replicate
the ambience of daylight.  Also, I have read of multi-tiered skylight
systems which diffuse daylight throughout exhibit areas while reducing UV
exposure, but this technique would take major renovation and, in the
Barnes case, redesigning of an historical building.  Are there any
technological advances that can replicate "daylight" ambience without
major renovation and that would still be free of the harmful presence
of UV?

Thank you for your help.

Deborah Bain
Museum Studies