From:
Stephen Brand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 09:18:36 EST
Dear Colleages,

The following website is a modest beginning for a very exciting new web site
experience designed for emerging, expanding and entrepreneurial museum
professionals.

www.enterprisingmuseums.com

The first feature is "If I did it again".  This is a top 10 list from 7 museum
professionals who recently opened a new museum.  Each one suggests what they
would do differently if they opened another museum.  Actually a number of
these individuals are on their 2nd or 3rd new museum project.

These lists were presented at a session at ASTC 1998 in Edmundton.

For those of you who have had the experience, feel free to add your own
suggestions for what you would do differently.  If you have your own list of
10 things, email them to me at [log in to unmask] and I will add
them to the list.

If anyone would like to write a short feature about being an enterprising
museum, please forward it to me and if it would be helpful to others, I would
be glad to add it to the site.

Also, please send me any ideas that you have for this site designed to inspire
vibrant business practices in a museum trying to push the envelop in both
mission and market simultaneously.

Coming soon on the site:

Expert moderated discussions about key issues in effective and innovative
revenue streams, new museums, and ambitious expansions.

Listings for consultants and other companies supporting the efforts of
enterprising museums.

Ideas for great reading -- lessons we can learn from our peers in the for
profit and not for profit sectors.

Listings of museum projects looking for innovative support from consultants
and museum related corporations.

There are endless possibilities.  New content, features and approaches will be
added to the site to spark your thinking, inspire your actions, and increase
our ability to do our jobs better every day.

Thanks for your time,

Stephen Brand
President and Chief Imagination Officer
The New Enterprise Factory