From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 2004 11:39:44 -0700
Playing devil's advocate here...

--- John Martinson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Some people, too, are allergic to dogs/cats and pets, but not children.  And
> children do not shed hair.

And people are allergic to perfumes and some dogs don't shed enough or at all
to cause allergies. Should we start banning perfumed visitors too?

 Children are human, and sad to say dogs are not.  Children take
> baths, and many pet owners fail to even bath their dogs/pets -- and they
smell.

Heh. I can point you to many people who don't bathe nearly as often as they
should, and they're not homeless people either. My dog rarely needs a bath
because he's got very short hair and thankfully stays away from icky things. He
smells a lot better and keeps cleaner than a lot of kids I know.

>Children learn from museums, dogs/pets do not.

Again, I'd wager that the screaming 6 month old isn't getting much out of the
museum experience or that the toodler who constantly runs away from Mommy isn't
either. Bored teen-agers and boyfriends who get dragged to art galleries by
their girlfriends probably aren't absorbing anything either. While my dog
probably won't learn much, he is appreciative of getting a walk which is one up
on the bored teen-agers and boyfriends.

>Dog claws on hard floors make noise and scratch;

Properly trimmed they don't and they are much less damaging than high heels,
sneakers, and stroller wheels.

>while children do not shift at your private parts or have their nose where it
is not suppose to be.

I assume you mean sniff. My old dachshound wasn't high enough off the ground to
sniff past your ankles. And again, properly trained dogs don't do that. I've
been pawed by plenty of kids who didn't know how to keep their hands to
themselves.

> Children earn money for a museum, pets do not.

Charge a pet admission.

> Pets belong at home.   Surely, a large percent of pet owners do not pick up
> when their dog does their thing on museum floor or park or forest trail.  I
see so much of that on trails and museum lawns were you want to lay your
blanket for a lunch or watch a concert..and there is "crap" on the ground left
by uncaring dog owners!

Well that is a problem with inconsiderate dog owners. On the flip side, how
many kids pick up after themselves these days?

>  And oh my!  I've seen so many dogs dribble.  Their dribble is
> what makes a person allergic when it hardens.  And it smells!

Uh, no. Pet allergies are caused by pet dander and hair, not by drool. Don't
know what you mean by dribble tho'.

> Then when a dog sees another dog...there is barking, fights, etc., and
> sniffing in spots that are not right in a museum.

My dog will do the sniff thing but he only barks when he's playing at the puppy
park and he's never gotten into a fight.

> Children do not do that.

Riiiiight. They're little angels all the time. *snort*

> And when a dog sees another dog...there is a social club started --- barking,
> fights, sniffing in spots that are not right in a museum...and children do
> not do that.

You need to get to your local playground more often. Children can be louder and
more destructive than dogs.

>The office would spell like a pet kennel!

Uh, again, the offices where I worked at that allowed pets smelt no different
than offices with pets.

> NO PETS IN MUSEUMS!  Because you like pets, does not mean everyone else has
> to be disturbed by what one feels is "a human" but is a dog!

I don't think pets are human but I do think my dog is better behaved that a lot
of children I see. And while I wasn't in Germany that long, I saw plenty of
dogs in resturants and shops but narry a yip, sniff, or poop. Most of the time
you didn't notice that they were around except for a water dish under the
table. So if Germany can learn to deal with pets, why can't America?

> Sorry, IMHO, pets are not human and should not be allowed in museums.
> Children are human.

Well I'd argue that some children aren't that human either. ;)

Deb