From:
Caroyln Breedlove <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 1996 09:14:51 -0500
Okay, I've been on the list for quite a while, but a little shy about
leaping in.  The flying squirrel finally did it, so here goes (no,
seriously, I hope he does get immortalized somewhere, somehow).
        The object in question is part only of my personal "collection," if you
will:  a Cape Dorset Eskimo print from the early seventies.  It was
professionally framed, sealed, with non-glare glass in California in 1974.
 Never had any problem with it (other than worrying that it might fall in
an earthquake), kept it out of direct light, out of indirect as much as
possible in a home setting.  Now I live in Louisiana ( for the last 7
years, actually), and hideous brown spots are appearing on the paper.  Not
any directly on the printed part, but they do seem to be gradually
multiplying.  It certainly appears to be mildew of some sort.
        What should I do?  Can the spots already on the paper be removed?  Are
there any home remedies I can undertake without destroying the whole thing?
        Thanks for any advice.