From:
"Vallin, Amy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 10:44:05 -0500
Students and schools in the state of Kentucky are getting as much
interaction out of distance learning as possible, that's the name of our
game.  Mr. Botstein, it sounds as if you may difficulty "thinking outside
the box" when it comes to your ideas of distance learning.

At the Louisville Science Center we offer an extensive program of Distance
Learning to schools through the KY Tele-Link Network (KTLN).  Schools are
linked through out the state via this networking system.  Basically a school
links to the Science Center and our Distance Learning Coordinator
facilitates an interactive "lab", correlating to one of our permanent
exhibits.  All links have interactive kits associated with them that have
materials for the teachers and students to use.  These kits have lesson
plans, evaluation forms etc.,  for teachers.  Also, all the activities and
kits meet KY State Education Standards along with National Benchmark
Standards.  The distance learning we do at the Science Center is as
interactive as it gets!  We do offer links that are not as interactive, but
rather informative.  Our Distance Learning Coordinator puts together a panel
of "Experts" in various fields such as medicine, again correlating to our
permanent exhibits.  Students have the opportunity to "meet" this expert in
said field and ask them questions.  Students have spoken with researchers in
the fields of the cell based therapy to paleontology.  AND in March Drs.
Layman Grey and Robert Dowling who pioneered the first Abio core heart
transplant here in Louisville will be speaking to students across the state
of KY via our distance learning.

The Science Center also offers a statewide traveling exhibit that
communities a 100 mile radius outside of Louisville can rent for 3
weeks--truly distance learning. The traveling exhibit also has kits
associated with it.  Again, schools can links to the LSC while the exhibit
is in their community and work with the kits.

Amy L Vallin
Collections Registrar/Traveling Exhibits Coordinator
Louisville Science Center
727 W Main Street
Louisville, KY 40202
1-800-591-2203  ext. 6009
1-502-561-6145 - fax
www.louisvillescience.org
for more information about the Louisville Science Center's traveling
exhibits check out www.louisvillescience.org