From:
Cliff quinn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 1994 16:01:52 -0800
On Tue, 15 Feb 1994, Jessica Johnson wrote:

> ...to start another one here with questions - Why is it that collections
> responsibilities and education/exhibit concerns have become some separated in
> modern museum institutions?  Should we be worried about this dichotomy?

An interesting question. My Network is supported largely by CHIN (the
Canadian Heritage Information Network). Their focus is on collections, and
that isreally the mandate of my project - to get participating museum's
and galleries' collections in order.

I am hearing from the institutions tho that they want to be using their
computers for exhibits, and public communication. I think the two fields
MUST be looked at holistically - one of the main reasons we preserve our
collections is for exhibits (isn't it?) Some of them are questioning why
they are asked to spend so much time documenting, or measuring every facet
of an object.

Cliff Quinn
Dogwood Network Coordinator
Victoria, BC, Canada