From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 18:00:29 -0400
Re your request for a definition of "preparator"

In the states, the Preparator is the staff member ususally responsible for
object handling, usually in an Art museum. This individual often is
responsible for mounting objects (eg. matting & framing works on paper) and
for hanging works in galleries. Preparators often construct crates for
shipping art and in many ways compliments the work of the Registrar and
Conservator.

Gutenkauf
Diane Gutenkauf
Chair, Midwest Registrars Committee
Curator, Elmhurst Historical Museum
120 E. Park Avenue
Elmhurst, IL 60126 USA

Voice: +(630) 833-1457
  Fax: +(630) 833-1326
Email: [log in to unmask]

My opinions are my own and do not reflect those
of any institution with which I am affiliated.