From:
Nina Stoyan-Rosenzweig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jul 2005 09:09:03 -0400
Tim,

Thanks for explaining further.  I think I perhaps understand a bit
better now, though it still is going to take a while to answer all of
your questions, I think and perhaps people on the list can let us know
whether they would prefer we continue off-list with the discussion?  I
thought I'd just send out this response and take on one portion of the
discussion- back to the question of "why" amd "how".  Upon further
reflection I realized that your pushing that issue was in fact a useful
tact because I think the bottomline is how  science and religion address
the "why" questions, especially the deepest ones about "why we are here"
and "why we are different from other animals (although maybe that in
fact is how)?"  Science would say we are here to pass on our genes and
because there was a niche that could be filled by an intelligent
hominid.  And that we are not significantly different from other
animals.  Religion, I believe,  would say that we are profoundly
different from animals and that we are here because we were specially
created and that there are other, deeper spiritual purposes associated
with our existence.  In your last paragraph I think you are asking what
is wrong with the answers that science provides?  For some people there
is nothing wrong with that- Richard Dawkins for instance doesn't have a
problem with that being the total of human existence.  For many, though,
there is a deeper spiritual need and a belief in higher spiritual
purpose.  Many feel the presence of a higher being (or perhaps gods) and
many have the same assurance that the words of holy books are completely
correct.  And doctors, for one, do say that those who find dying
easiest, who pass away with the least amount of fear and clinging to
life are those who do have that deep assurance, who have lived their
lives convinced that there is a higher reason for being and a spiritual
life after death.  By the same token, findings that during prayer, the
moment when people say they experience a connection with a supreme
being, there are physiological changes in the brain that some
neurologists say shows religious feelings are physical.   Rather than
draw a conclusion (and especially because in my own fuzzy logic there is
really no conflict between the findings of science and religious
beliefs)

I wonder how others feel about this sort of conclusion, and what makes
them comfortable?  Again, I would be happy to continue such a discussion
off list but wanted first to sort out my conversation with Tim.

Best, Nina S-R

>>> [log in to unmask] 07/02/05 06:21PM >>>
Sorry you took my thoughts and questions as largely semantical
trickery
and word smithing. Not my intent. I was simply curious about some of
what you and Mark said. I'm questioning from a stance of curiosity to
further my own learning/understanding and not authoritarian challenge.
And from the length of your response to just one of my questions, I'm
not sure how hollow they were (;] sorry, couldn't resist).

From what you've said, if time allows you down the road, I think
you'll
have to answer my question about how it seems you're dividing reality
into two for me to follow your line of thought. From following your
all's thoughts, that seems to be the roadblock for me. To some degree
get what you and Mark are saying about science's purpose being what it
is and nothing more, but to my mind it's impossible to disconnect one
part of reality from another and say they don't influence one another
(for example, our understanding of physical reality has no bearing on
our ethical, emotional/intellectual and/or spiritual reality). To
respond/question what you've said so far would be to say the same
things
basically, other than two more thoughts that maybe you could include
in
your own thoughts if you respond further.

I would lump the ethics in with the quandary about splitting the
physical world versus emotional/spiritual world for me. I don't see
how
one's learning based on science can't influence one's ethics. I could
no
doubt find examples of how any metaphysical basis for reality has been
misused to make poor ethical decisions, but I would argue that however
one views reality has a very strong influence on their ethics, whether
that person is aware of it or not (and maybe I should say that I'm
speaking of philosophical ethics as far as simply one's code of
behavior). People who believe in science use it to define reality for
themselves (at least, natural/physical reality). A large part of
ethics
is involved with human interaction with the natural world, so  your
natural (scientific) understanding of that reality with influence
those
ethical decisions (even if you split natural reality from
emotional/spiritual/intellectual reality). I almost feel like I'm
talking in circles, but does what I'm driving at make sense (even if
you
don't buy it)?

And your assertion that science can only answer "why" questions to a
certain degree is interesting to me. Is there perhaps no "deeper"
answer
to why we're here than to simply continue living (pass on our genes,
as
you say)? What's wrong with that, other than perhaps a bruise to our
collective ego? I guess I'm wondering if science isn't capable of
providing as deep an answer as is possible, but we're not exactly
eager
to accept it?

Thanks for sharing your own story; I found it very appropriate.

tim