From:
Barry Dressel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Mar 1998 10:05:46 -0500
Yes, there ae some good firms, generally, but everyone has some
disappointments with those, too. My question: why do you want to use a
full-service firm in the first place?  It's the most expensive way to do it,
and you have relatively less control. They have to feed the overhead of
their fabrication arm in their pricing, and as the retired founder of one
said to me (when doing exhibit work for me as a lark) "there is always the
tendency to design to keep the boys in the shop busy...'cause the work they
thrive on is big budget, big margin stuff."  Get a seasoned museum designer
with references who has done precisely the sort of exhibition work you're
looking for. Ask them to use local fabricators when possible and
appropriate, and save money.