From:
Jennifer Pieters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 1997 10:02:31 -0500
Having a total of three different museum internship experiences, I can say
that museum interns do receive tremendous exposure to the career.  I have
been very fortunate to be at three institutions that truly value their
interns and offer them a wide range of opportunities.  Of course interns do
participate in "dirty work" because as most museum professionals know,
"dirty work" comes with the territory.  I have never been given a task that
I didn't think my supervisor had to do at one time or another.  I believe
that internships are a great way to try out a career.  I know that I am very
happy with the experiences I have had through my internships.

At 10:12 PM 4/8/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I am wondering about people's opinions of interns who come to museums for
>summer experience or more lengthy experience.  Do you feel that the work
>done by interns is more often the "dirty work" or do your museums truly
>offer staff level experience?  If the "dirty work" IS in fact being saved
>for interns, then how can we expect to increase interest in museum work?
>Shouldn't their experiences be similar to what they might encounter as a
>museum professional?
>Former or current interns AND musuem professionals please reply.

Jennifer L. Pieters
Monticello College Foundation Intern in Education
Illinois State Museum
Spring & Edwards Streets
Springfield, IL  62704
(217) 782-5993