From:
Holly Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Aug 1994 21:06:47 -0700

>Date: Thu, 25 Aug 1994 11:29:53 -0700
>From: Anita Cohen-Williams <[log in to unmask]>
>Reply to: Museum discussion list
>To: Multiple recipients of list MUSEUM-L
>Subject: 3-dimensional documentation?
>
>I'm replying to the list, since I think that it is important for all.
>   In order to document where things are in a room, it is best to photograph
>the room from all angles, and then draw a diagram showing where everything
>currently is. If the room is crammed, it might be best to draw a series of
>maps/diagrams in order to fully document everything.
>   Then, as artifacts are removed, full proveniance should be noted, i.e.
>saddletree from far north corner (see map #x). Or, the artifacts can be
>numbered on the diagram and then marked when they are removed (the markings
>can be small numbers on the bottom or back of the artifact). We mark items
>with white-out and then use a Micron Pigma pen with waterproof ink, and
>cover
>the ink with a coat of clear nail polish. The beauty of this marking
>system isthat it can be removed with acetone.
>        I hope that this is helpful. If you have any questions, let me
>know.

>Anita Cohen-Williams; Reference Services; Hayden Library
>Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ  85287-1006
>PHONE: (602) 965-4579              FAX: (602) 965-9169

Please do not use any latex based "correction fluids" for labeling
artifacts.  In practice, they are not durable, nor are they truly
reversible for porous materials (low-fired, unglazed ceramics, wood, bone,
weathered shell, etc.) or artifacts with a surface finish, such as
furniture.  I have seen more damage caused by uninformed cleaning,
labeling, packaging, and reconstruction techniques than I care to think
about. Catherine Sease's book Field Manual for Archaeologists (or is it
Manual for Field Archaeologists?) is an often cited, accessible, readable,
and useful guide for the treatment and care of a wide variety of materials.

Holly Young
Pueblo Grande Museum
4619 East Washington Street
Phoenix, AZ  85034