From:
Edward Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 10:30:59 -0400
According to Sue Thompson:

> Our musem will be hosting an exhibit this coming summer & fall with a
> theme that deals with plowed fields.
>
> We would like to incorporate freshly plowed soil from farm fields into
> the display areas.
>
> Has anyone had experience with this sort of thing?  We do not have a
> decontamination room.
>
> Also, there is the necessity of keeping the soil looking fresh.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sue Thompson
> Sr. Registrar

Greetings Sue Thompson (and others),

Please consider these words from your request for assistance, "freshly
plowed soil," and "decontamination," and "keeping the soil looking fresh."
Is the incongruity visible to you as it is to me?

"Soil," correctly used here, is more than "dirt," it is a living thing full
of living things.  The process of plowing is meant to kill some of those
living organisms so that different ones can be given a welcoming growth
environment.  The aroma released by the plowing process and the subsequent
decomposition, is evidence of its life and is probably not to be captured
for exhibition.

If you are concerned about decontamination (as no doubt you should be), I
suggest that you seek alternatives such as those which have already been
suggested to attempting to bring living soil into your exhibit and trying
to keep it alive.

In a recent "Museum News" there was a article regarding an urban museum
which grew crops at its entrance - outside - as part of an exhibit.  This
might be a resource for you.  I can also direct you to agricultural museums
which may have attempted to simulate plowing in exhibits.  (See ALHFAM web
site in sig, file.)

Edward Baker
Supervisor of Interpretation
Mystic Seaport Museum