From:
Barbra Brady <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 1996 09:39:38 -0600

I have a feeling I've seen this discussed on list, and know I've heard it
discussed at many a conference, but here goes the query, for whatever
today's state of the art may be:

I've just recently made the transition from working for a mid-sized museum
to a much, much smaller one, in an area of the country with much smaller
budgets! Yes, I now know, it's all relative. I had thought my former
museum was small, with a staff of nearly 20, until I "downsized" myself
into a staff of only 3 full time employees...

Anyway, that is simply the preamble to my question.
The collection has but 200 objects, which is a blessing at this point, as
the "vault" has no storage bins whatsoever for framed works.
When I arrived, the framed works were sitting on 2" x 4"s, leaning around
the walls of the room.  With no budget for doing the full scale, proper
renovation, I did manage to have some pallets rescued, and covered, so now
the framed works, while still leaning around the walls, are a few more
inches off the floor.

I do indeed plan on finding the right grant to apply for to fund rolling
screens in the future. But, in the mean time, I'd like to have some bins
built, or constructed.

I need suggestions for a very affordable, but conservation-wise bins.
Powder-coated wood of some sort? Lined with Ethafoam?

Other alternatives?

Sorry. It took me a while to get to my point there.
Just wanted to test you all on your label reading tolerance...

Barbra Brady
Curator
Art Museum of Missoula