From:
Tracie Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 16:20:35 -0500
Jennifer-
Speaking from moving a collection in a similar way to what you are
describing, the most important point that I can make about moving a
collection is to number every box, keep a good list of the boxes and their
contents.  IF you know that some parts of the collection will be needed for
exhibits, etc immediately following the move or while objects are still in
temporary storage, box and keep them separate from objects going directly
into long term storage.  In other words, good records.

As for preparing to move, use lots of boxes, good packing materials, do not
make boxes too heavy (if possible), do not overstuff the boxes, use boxes
that can be handled.  If the objects will only be in temporary storage for a
short time, you can probably get by with cheaper packing materials, but if
they are going to be boxed for a long time (your institutions determination)
you will want good quality packing materials (acid-free, etc.)

My husband recently did a quick move of a storage room and they used
shipping wrap to combine several boxes of books into a unit that could be
moved with a two-wheel cart.

For the actual moving, use your staff!!  I know you will be tempted to use a
moving company, but they do not care that your materials are extremely
fragile.  If you need addition assistance, find a local group (maybe from a
university museum program?) who can help.

As to your other inquire regarding fragile objects.  The fire helmet is
definitely easier (for me) then the art.  You can pack the interior of the
helmet to help it hold its shape with stable materials such as cotton
muslin, batting, tissue, or similar material, place it in a box with padding
under it and then pack around the finial and the rest of the hat to hold it
stable.  Do not overstuff.  Remember that the best cushion is air.  You
really just want to hold it in place and let the air cushion it. The
suggests offered by Elizabeth are also great.

For the art, find a box or create one that it large enough and deep enough
(with the warpage) to be packed it, you may want to use a crate if this is
really large.  Create support on the bottom to rest the back of the piece
upon [this will need to follow the warp of the piece], and then use foam
along the sides to hold stable on all sides, extend the foam upwards to the
lid for support, use a lid that will not warp inward while in storage, and
place flat before, during and after storage.

If you would like to discuss this off the list, feel free to contact me.
Sincerely
Tracie Evans
Collections Manager