From:
Sara Conklin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2007 05:42:05 -0700
Carol:  I find the differences between Canadian tax laws and the USA very
interesting.  From the appraisers point of view....i say "Fair Market
Value......
$5,280.00 (Five Thousand, Two Hundred and Eighty Dollars)" as one means to
keep them from fooling with my value.  Another method is to use an embossing
crimper with my name on it over the value statement.  Yet another is to sign
my appraisal in blue ink so I can tell if it is my original page. I put "1
of 25 pages, not valid unless all pages present" in the footer. hummm what
else.?  I guess if people are are going to cheat they may get past all
these.  To totally cover my butt I say "
No change in the Appraisal report shall be made by anyone other than the
appraiser.  The appraiser shall have no responsibility for any such
unauthorized changed.  No portion of the report may be reproduced, copied or
used in any manner by anyone without the previous written consent of this
appraiser and then only in its entirety including the cover document and all
written material."

Sara Conklin, ISA CAPP

International Society of Appraisers

Certified Appraiser, Personal Property

PH:  800-464-4208

With Registrar hat on.....once a donor has signed a deed of gift which
transfers title to the museum THEN is gets permanently logged into the
Permanent Accession Book and the museum owns it.  I recommend this procedure
since deaccession is a lengthy process for some museums.