From:
Marjorie McLellan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jul 2002 10:25:14 -0400
Like others who have advised you, I find cheaper DC area accomodations
by staying near the Metro line in Viriginia.  One such places is the
Americana Motel in Crystal City. It is a two block walk to the Metro. It
is clean and comfortable and last time I was there they included a free
breakfast.  For Reservations call:  1-800/548-6261 .  Unless you have
difficulty walking, its far better to dispense with a car in DC and to
rely on the Metro and buses.  You can buy fairly inexpensive metro
passes for one or more days.

Parking is terrible in DC. I was shocked by the lack of parking  for
vehicles with disability tags.  (One of my students used a wheel chair
on my last visit.) Recent DC parking policies have made DC even more
inhospitable for such vehicls. Given that disabled veterans must come to
see some of the monuments to their service, which are several blocks
from metro stops, this was a particularly sad turn of events.

The Library of Congress is exciting to see but you should plan on a long
wait there to get through security.  I thought that the Textile Museum,
in a lovely walking neighborhood, was great.  The Building Museum is
also well worth a visit, to see the building as well as the exhibits.
Keep in mind that they will go through whatever bags you carry into
museums so back lightly for each days outing and carry bags and purses
that are easy to look into.

Margie McLellan
Director, Public History Program
Wright State University